Thursday, June 13, 2013

London - Day 3

Today was a day of experiences. Our first outing of the day was for tea at the Ritz.

Tea at the Ritz
 As I said to Jane, this was the most expensive cheese sandwich I have ever had. It was quite an experience - sandwiches (including cucumber of course), scones, and little cakes. Huge pots of tea in very heavy silver pots and attentive waiters smiling and asking you constantly if you are okay. A pianist was playing away and at times I heard air supply! By the time we left I was bouncing on my seat from the sugar rush, I should not eat that much cake!

The Globe Theatre
We then walked around to the Globe Theatre and managed to get tickets to the sold out show - A Midsummer Night's Dream. It was fabulous. I felt like I was transported to another world. Here we were sitting on hard wooden benches while the space between us and the stage was full of people who stood for a 3 hour performance. The story was farcical, the actors were superb and the sky was grey and wintery (because of course it is summer). It was an incredible experience that so far has to be the highlight of my time in London.

We finished the day with dinner at the local - The Ship, where once again we had an Australian barkeep (our second).

1 comment:

  1. Wow Jane! It looks like you are having a trip of a lifetime! Love the posts. So many cool memories for you xxx

    ReplyDelete