Monday, April 19, 2010

Teeth

This is not a pretty shot, but I had to get a picture of these things as proof. An artist was commissioned to create an art work to set off our beautiful Otago Harbour. So therefore we now have a set of six teeth blocking the beautiful views of the harbour. These teeth are made out of Oamaru Stone I think and the rope around the top is meant to help them to 'decay' over time. The artists says this will add to their beauty. I really don't know what they were thinking. Surely the fact that these have been placed on Portsmouth drive is not enough of a reason to put teeth in front of our harbour?

Now I quite like them as a piece of art and think they would look fantastic outside the dental school. But I would have liked something else to enhance the harbour.

2 comments:

  1. I drove past these on a rare visit to Dunedin on Saturday - thought they were very bizarre and completely out of place in their current location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have given me some ideas for what I might take photos of here in Nelson. Every town has its 'art'!

    ReplyDelete