Thursday, April 1, 2010

Los Angeles - Santa Monica Pier


My hotel is right across the road from the Santa Monica Beach and Pier. This is the famous end of route 66 (however, I heard a rumour the sign was moved there as part of a movie prop and the end is elsewhere). The Pier is quite an amazing site at night time.

In the morning I went for a walk along the beach to the famous Venice Beach. The beach is really clean, with big tractors raking along it. The interesting (sad) thing was that there were bodies scattered along the beach as you can see in this photo above. The beach is a sleeping spot for many people with no where else to sleep. The beach also had a really strange smell. I can't be sure what it was but it didn't smell fresh and clean like Perth beaches to this Australian nose.

It is interesting as you walk south to Venice Beach things get more funkier and edgy. I walked along passing very interesting people, watched a drug deal go down, tried not to breathe too deeply to avoid getting high too early in the morning, and said a polite no to the Kush Doctors selling legal MJ out of their Venice Beach shops (offices?). I arrived at Muscle Beach to watch the pumped men work out. They were shooting a segment for MTV at Muscle Beach so I thought that would be good professional development so I sat down to watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment